Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Homecoming Gear Disaster Is Here

image via

I'm holding back. I'm holding back. After spending weeks reorganizing the house and cleaning it from top to bottom before we left to pick up Hubs, the entire living room looks like a deserted war zone of clutter, half unpacked bags, stacks of gear and clothing. I have learned that I am not alone in this experience. It seems to happen to many military spouses. They walk in the door, you are thrilled to see them and kaboom the entire house is wrecked and covered in gear that they are too tired and busy to put away.

He was only home for 36 hours and had to head back to base. He won't be back for three weeks. So I have to accept that the living room is going to look like that for three weeks. I am not even considering moving anything because if he can't find it, things only get worse. And honestly, I have no idea where any of it would go. There is no space in this small apartment to absorb anything more. Much of it will have to go in storage on base. When that will happen is anyone's best guess.

As much as I want to say, "Gosh I'm just so lucky he's home in one piece. I should be grateful he's here to make such a mess" and for that to be enough -- and it should be -- I not yet woman enough to overlook the mess and not feel frustrated. So I have a life lesson to learn here, don't I! It's one I'm going to have to work on - a lot!

Because really it's just stuff everywhere. And I AM SO LUCKY he's home in one piece. Ah, this reintegration journey, it's not an easy one. But perhaps the greatest lesson in it all is learning to appreciate the good stuff, know what's worth fighting for and to let go of things that will heal with time. I pray my living room will heal and look pristine once again some day in the near future. Maybe by Flag Day!

2 comments:

  1. Reintegration is such a tough part of deployment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it takes us awhile to find our groove as a family again too! Pile it in a corner!!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day. Thanks for your comments.