Friday, May 31, 2013

The Joy Of Having My Husband Check On Me

image via

Last week I had to leave my husband who was still on base wrapping up his deployment. It was late afternoon and I knew I would see him again the next afternoon when he came home for good from his yearlong assignment. I had a long drive to make and it was hard to leave him, knowing he would come home the next day and we would find ourselves suddenly knee-deep in the reintegration process. We had a lot of big decisions to make and I knew that once he came home the tough post-deployment realities would set in. I cried about that on that day.

We had a beautiful prayer together and took a walk on the beach before I left. I felt a lot better. After I'd been on the road about ninety minutes, he called. It meant the world to me. He said he was just calling to check in on me. I told him how happy I was to have someone check in on me. It had been a long time since I'd had anyone check on me to see if I was safe - about a year! I don't know if he will ever understand how much that meant to me. He was all I had thought about since I left him. How I missed him. Hearing his voice on the phone let me know he was thinking of me and missing me too. An hour later he called again and we talked one more time before I got home.

Being able to hear from him and call him anytime is a delicious treat after a year of not being able to call him and having no idea when he could call. Having him check up on me and knowing he was missing me and thinking of me even though we had only been apart for an hour or two was priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you makes my day. Thanks for your comments.