Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Meaningful Confirmation From My Husband

image via Yahoo!

You may have heard this very sweet story over the weekend about the 90-year-old woman who found the diary she's given to her boyfriend who died in World War II on display at the National World War II Museum. Here's a link to the original story.

My husband read it to me while we were sitting together at an eatery working on our computers. He was supposed to be updating his resume, but was very distracted. Before he even started to read the story he started getting a little choked up. His eyes teared up and his voice cracked as he read about this sweet couple.

Then he said something that I have long heard about military men. He said when a man goes to war, he clings to the thought of his woman at home to get him through. I had actually wondered in the past if what I had always heard applied to my husband. If he felt the way everyone says men in war feel about their women and families back home. When I heard him say that with tears in his eyes I knew he was speaking from his own experience. It melted my heart.

It's amazing the things I have learned about my husband and his experiences this past year in simple, every day conversations the past couple of weeks. It's interesting how things just seem to come up naturally that are deeply informative and meaningful to me. I hope I'm giving him space to feel like he can talk when he wants to. I hope he knows that I love him more than ever and think he's more wonderful than ever.

I like knowing that for all the days he was gone, it was our home and hearth that kept him going. Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you makes my day. Thanks for your comments.