Friday, May 10, 2013

Collecting Vintage U.S. Navy China


While I was writing the post about the wool U.S. Navy Blankets I made the mistake of mentioning and thus remembering the U.S. Navy official china that caught my eye at the Battleship Wisconsin last year in Norfolk.

Well, you know, you can collect that stuff from antique dealers around the country and apparently there are quite a few varieties that were designed for different ranks in different galley facilities. I'm dreaming about a mixed set with all the plates of one variety, the salad plates of another, the bowls another.

I have come to the conclusion that getting cups and saucers, even when it completes the entire look is a bit of a waste because me and my people don't drink coffee or tea so I would be hard pressed to serve hot chocolate in them often enough to even come close to justifying the cost.

Coming up with a set will be a bit of detective work, but wouldn't it be fun to have a set of official, vintage U.S. Navy china in a display case. You could use them on all the military holidays for a special lunch or dinner. You can read about the history of U.S. Navy china here. I'm pretty charmed. These would be a really special treasure for a military family.

Here's another fun Navy inspired touch for home decor, Wood Anchors.

1 comment:

  1. Midlife Collage is looking for submissions in our free-entry contests. We run weekly, online writing contests for a cash prize at midlifecollage.com. Perhaps you would be eligible and interested in submitting a short story. Please see our Submissions page for the guidelines and contest rules. Go to our Calendar page and watch the short videos for topic ideas. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day. Thanks for your comments.