Tuesday, December 18, 2012

When Will He Be Here, They Ask Repeatedly


I have tried to be a student of other military wives experiences as I face this deployment. I have read some very inspiring, encouraging and wise books and blogs that have been a great help to me. One of the things I have read several times from a variety of sources is that when it's time for your service member to come home you will be repeatedly asked "When will he be here?" with great enthusiasm from neighbors, friends and family. At some point this will begin to drive you crazy when you tell them repeatedly that you don't know. 

Any military spouse worth their salt knows that you have no idea when they'll be here or if they'll even actually get here any time close to when you've been told. It's totally possible their orders will suddenly be changed or their R&R will be cancelled. Again I also read this repeatedly in the spouse literature. I already knew to never hold my breath about a military timeline, but the reminder is a good done, since it's easy to get so excited that you just want them here already. A little temperance of expectations is a healthy thing.

So with R&R coming up, there is much anticipation around here for his arrival. Despite me telling people who ask that I don't know, they continue to ask. Sometimes I think they believe I am not telling them the whole truth or that I'm trying to keep something from them. But I seriously don't know. I don't.

So when they ask me for the third or fourth time when he will be here, I do feel a little, what shall we say, annoyed. I don't know, really, I'm telling you the truth. He'll get here when he gets here. Then I am reminded about the next thing I read in these same articles on homecoming. These constant questions will begin to get tiresome. Yes, they are. I smile with the sister & brotherhood of spouses on this one, knowing that we are all in the same boat!

Now if I just had five dollars for every time I've been asked that question in the last month, I would go on a super great shopping spree! And I promise you all that when he is here, I will tell you. That's not to say I won't shelter him and ensure that he gets actual rest, recuperation and relaxation. That is a must and my first priority. But dear ones, please know, I really don't know when he will be here and I realize you find this bizarre and crazy but I am totally used to it. That is life in the military.

And yes, I am completely, insanely excited to see him. And yes, he did tell me last night that his trip might have to be delayed. I smiled. I laughed...and reminded him he told me he would be here soon and I expect him to keep that promise. Then I said, "No pressure, right?" with a big smile. He'll get here when he gets here and we'll love every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you makes my day. Thanks for your comments.