Friday, June 7, 2013

Changing Out Of The Uniform


When my husband first returned to the U.S. we were staying with him on base while he went through his post-deployment phase. After a few days I realized he was still wanting to wear his uniform night and day. Even in the evenings he would not take it off. Then I realized he had been wearing it pretty much night and day for a full-year. It was what he put on every day and took off at night to go to bed for a few short hours. Then it went right back on the next morning.

The more I thought about this the more I realized that he knew where all his stuff was in all the pockets and storage spaces. For a year, he had had everything he needed within arms reach in a shoulder, chest or pants pocket. He had a routine and the uniform was his comfort zone.

Even after being in our home for a week he keeps his uniform very close to him. He hasn't unloaded the pockets or put the last uniform he wore home in the wash. Although I'm guessing the poor, worn out uniform might disintegrate in the washer after a couple of agitations. Right now the top of his uniform is hanging near our front door for easy access and the pants are on his desk.

I would've thought the first thing he would want to do once he got home was to get out of his uniform but when I realized that not only was it his "coat of armor" for the past year, but it was also his comfort zone and his mobile "home" day in and day out it all made sense. It was one of the first things that taught me empathy for his journey back from a war zone to America to our family life. That can't be an easy transition, but I'm here, walking with him patiently, letting him find his place and loving him every step of the way.

1 comment:

  1. It was hard for Kyle to change out of his uniform when got home, it's amazing how attached they are.

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day. Thanks for your comments.