Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Overpowering Emotions Of The Uniform


One day not long after Mr. Hart left on deployment I was walking down the street in our neighborhood and towards me came a man in military camos. My entire soul lit up and I greeted him with the most emphatically cheerful, excited hello he's probably ever gotten from a complete stranger. Bizarre of me and totally embarrassing.

Now I need to clarify that we live nowhere near a base. But we do have a small Army Reserve post nearby. In more than a decade I've seen a man in uniform in our neighborhood probably five times. We actually have a huge VA near our home, but that brings more sad, homeless wanderers than men in uniform to our streets.

There is something about seeing anyone in uniform when you're missing your man in uniform that is a little overpowering. Clementine and I have shed a few tears when we walk into the food court of our naval base and are surrounded by uniforms and men who remind us so much of our Daddy. In the past he was always with us when we had lunch or dinner there. It's hard to watch other military men eat with their families, girlfriends and buddies without deeply missing ours.

I always adore the uniformed men who go out of their way on base to hold doors for us and call me "Ma'am" in a respectful way that makes me actually appreciate being called "Ma'am." This is very unlike how I feel when a soul-less cashier who doesn't even look up at me calls me that. I think most women hate being called "Ma'am" but when a strapping young buck waits for you, holds the door for you and is so polite with his southern drawl, it's a whole different story. Gentlemanly manners do still live and in uniform they are ridiculously handsome.

There is something about those uniforms in all their varieties, purposes, fabrics and fits that become a real part of a military family. For years I've washed them, ironed them (no easy feat!), and hung them proudly on hangers. I have appreciated the hub's broad shoulders and fit back side in those tan desert khakis like a good wife should. For an entire year, except during R&R, the uniform is the only clothing we've seen our Daddy wear on Skype. That uniform is what he is wearing when he goes away from us for a while. That is what he was wearing when he arrived home to us for R and R. The next time we see him he will be in that uniform.

The uniform is definitely a source of pride and connection. I hope to get through the rest of our deployment before I start throwing my arms around any man in uniform. I'm kidding, really I'm kidding.

*This post is linked up with Walkabout Wednesdays. If you like Military blogs hop over and check out some others.

2 comments:

  1. Girl I know exactly what you mean…How one outfit carries so much weight still amazed me. It can make me sad, proud, angry, over the moon happy…so much emotion. Such a great post. Loved reading this! Thanks for stopping by my blog and obviously I will be following you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie thanks so much for coming by. I'm following you now, if I did it right. :) I wish I'd connected with the military spouse world so much sooner. So nice to realize I'm not alone in most of what goes on in my world & in my head.

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day. Thanks for your comments.