Friday, March 15, 2013

God's Miracle Pocket Dial

image via

This morning I was reminded of a really sweet story I wanted to share here. It's a touch sentimental and a little gift for all the MILSOs out there. The night before my husband left for deployment last summer we had our BIG goodbye phone call and said all the things you say before your most important person goes off to a war zone or you leave your family and homeland for a war zone.

I knew it would be a few days before I heard him again as he made his way, zig-zagging across the planet to his final destination. So I hunkered down and prepared myself for the waiting game and tried not to worry. The next morning I tried to sleep in, which wasn't hard because I wasn't sleeping well. About nine in the morning my cell phone rang, and it was HIS ring. I ran for the phone.

"Hello?"
"Hello? Babes?"
(rustling noises)

It took me a moment to realize he wasn't on the line and it seemed like he had somehow pocket dialed me. I tried to call his name out when his voice got a little louder and it seemed like he was near his phone, but he didn't hear me. I didn't have the heart to hang up, so I stayed on the line and just tried to hold onto him by listening to him moving around and talking with the other folks he was traveling with.

Pretty soon I realized he was going through a farewell ceremony and I could hear him going down a line of people saying "Thank you, thank you..thank you." As each one wished them well, shook their hands and sent them off I could hear the same thank yous from the men behind him and in front of him as they walked to the plane. It was such a sweet moment to hear the appreciation and love I wanted to be giving to him in that moment being given to him by others. My heart swelled a bit.

Then I heard them get on the plane and there was lots of joking around and loud rustling as they all found their seats and got settled. Then I listened to him just goofing around with everyone for a while. Then I heard the chaplain stand up and offer a prayer.

I sat and cried while I listened to that prayer. Oh, the depth and meaningfulness of prayers in our most dire moments. I loved hearing him pray for our service members on that plane. And then he said the words that caught my ear, melted into my heart and will stay with me forever. He prayed at some length for the families of those service members that they would be watched over, protected, cared for and loved. That they would return to find them well when their deployment was over.

I realized at that moment that while we are praying for them with all our hearts, their chief concern is us, their loved ones at home. They are so far away and can do so little to help in times of trouble. That is very hard for a warrior heart! Feeling helpless is something they do not well. They are problem solvers and caretakers, take-charge types who like to attack problems and get them solved PRONTO. You can imagine how hard it must be for them to be so far away, so out of touch with things at home. They worry about us. They pray for us.

So with all those prayers being offered collectively and individually for us by our service members, we should take care and comfort on the homefront that their prayers are just as powerful and plentiful as ours. We are prayed for and watched over too.

I stayed with him, on the phone for about an hour until I realized they were preparing for takeoff. It was hard to hang up knowing it would be the last time I talked to him on his cell. But my heart was full and I knew it was time. Later when I did talk to him, I told him what had happened. He was much more surprised than I imagined. He said I am so happy you were there! It was so amazing, there was a huge crowd of people there sending us off. It was really special. I am so glad you got to hear all of that and to hear the Chaplain's Prayer!

My husband has pocket dialed me maybe twice in five years. I know that accidental pocket dial was no accident in the big picture, but rather a miraculous gift. I treasure the blessing of that day.

2 comments:

  1. How completely sad and awesome, all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CautiousCrow I think in one sentence you managed to encapsulately military life in general! What a perfect description. Thanks so much for coming over for a visit!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day. Thanks for your comments.