Monday, March 25, 2013

Deployment Blessings: Friends

image via

One of the sweetest blessings we have enjoyed this year is the supreme care of friends. Many of the people I hold most near and dear to my heart today are people who were acquaintances before we started deployment. These are the people who stop me, look right into my eyes and sincerely asked "How are you doing? What can I do for you guys?" and let me know they are praying for our family every day.

Some have brought sweet little surprise gifts to our daughter. Many participated in a huge service project to send two dozen care packages to my husband and the troops he serves with. They baked goodies, bought packaged snacks, gathered magazines & books, wrote letters and packed boxes. Their enthusiasm was powerful and overflowing.

I know many of these people have reached out because they can't imagine surviving a year without their spouses. Some have military family members and know what our life is like right now. Others have a soft spot for my husband and want to stand guard for him while he is away.

Friends and neighbors have been so kind and thoughtful to us and I treasure the relationships we have built together. I realize, sadly that things will change a little bit once we are no longer in deployment but I sure hope all those great relationships we've enjoyed will continue to grow and be a source of happiness, mutual support and love as the years pass by.

Feeling the love, care and service of others is probably the best blessing I see in our deployment. It has taught me to let people in more openly, to appreciate with more gratitude, and going forward to be more mindful of others. I hope I can busy myself with service to others when inspired in ways I can help, just as others have done for us this year. I am so grateful for these good people and will treasure their memory as a bright spot in our deployment year. I hope they are richly blessed for their kindness in the same ways I feel the riches of their love and generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you makes my day. Thanks for your comments.