Monday, July 8, 2013

Helping When There's Nothing You Can Do

image via

Some days you'll get a called from your deployed loved one and they will be distraught, frustrated, angry and more. Unfortunately you can't fly over and fix any of the things that are bothering them, causing them grief or driving them crazy.

They might want to vent their frustrations on you or just plain might not be very, shall we call it, "polite." Here's the best thing you can do in these situations since there really isn't much you can do. I tried this many times and it always helped diffuse bad situations and bring calm to conversations and peace in the aftermath.

"I am so sorry that things are difficult. If there was anything I could do to change things for you I would do it in a heartbeat. I have complete faith in you. I am praying for you and so are many other people. I know God is watching out for you and He knows how you feel. I believe things will get better. You can do it. You are strong and wonderful. I love you and am sending you warm thoughts and positive vibrations."

Just telling them you have faith in them and that they are in your prayers does wonders. Just yesterday my husband thanked our daughter for her prayers while he was in Afghanistan and he told her that he felt them and that he believed they did a lot of good. He also wrote us a card in the last weeks of deployment that shared very similar sentiments.

When you tell your loved one that they are not alone, it must be one of the most comforting gifts you can give them. Sometimes it's all they need to get through a rough day and keep trekking forward with confidence, peace and contentment.

Do you have any specific things you do in such a situation as this? Please share in the comments below. It's so great for us all to enjoy each other's experiences and learn from them. Sending you and yours my very best wishes. Prayers for those of you in deployment now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you makes my day. Thanks for your comments.